The east side of Pass-a-Grille at 8th Street, since the late 1890's, has had a dock and fishing pier. It was the original “Merry Pier” owned by early pioneer Joseph Merry, who built the first grocery store on the pier in 1902. The senior Merry’s son, Kenneth (Capt. Merry) operated the “the 8th Street Pier” for many years until the 1940's, when it was leased to Wilson Hubbard and quickly became a headquarters for charter and party fishing boats, bait, tackle and any kind of fishing yarn one could conjure up on a lazy afternoon!
Capt. Merry, whose wife Blanche was the Post-Mistress of the Pass-a-Grille Post Office on 8th St., still operated his charter boat from the pier. It was officially re-dedicated “Merry Pier” in special ceremonies on July 9, 1981. It has remained a fishing mecca through varies leasees and is proud of its historic heritage and upholds its “fishin’ tales” and “fish lore” proudly!